There are situations when a set of models needs to be renamed with a common base part number and incremental dash numbers. The technique documented below will speed up the renaming of these files especially if there are a large number of files to be renamed.
In this example, I have an assembly model of a simplified power supply. This assembly contains thirteen unique parts that we need to rename to share a common base part number and sequential dash numbers. The existing 3-d model and model tree are shown below.
The steps below can be used to rename the model.
- Open the assembly model in Creo Parametric.
- Select File > Save As > Save a Copy and type in the new name in the dialog box. In this example we will use “P123456.ASM” for the new name. Click OK button after entering the new name.
- The next step is to temporarily append the file name for each object in the list that we would like to rename. This will allow us to export the file list for manipulation in Excel.
- Select files to be renamed in list with the default suffix of “_”.
- Click Generate New Names button.
- Select or Deselect Copy Drawings as required.
This is what the “Assembly Save A Copy” dialog will look like after completing these steps.
- The next step is to export the list of old names and new names to a text file. Select File > Save to save the text file. Change the directory to your working directory and click Save button.
- Open the text file and copy the contents to cell A1 in an Excel worksheet.
- Type the new name in cell B2 (e.g. P123456-001).
- Drag the square in the bottom right corner of the cell down to increment the dash number for all rows.
- Copy both columns in worksheet back to the text file and save the text file. (This file can be used in the future if model updates are received from your supplier to map the supplier file names to the new file names.)
- The next step is to load the file names back into the dialog box. Select File > Load and navigate to the working directory. Click Open button.
- After the file is loaded, the dialog should like this.
- Click the Save Copy or Save Copy and Open button to finish.
You now have a copy of the original files using the new name base file name with suffixes.